The second trimester. Bird songs, baby clothes and bed.

Aghh, the second trimester. I'd heard good things about T2 so was really looking forward to some blue skys and bird songs.

And you know what, it's been nice. I magically thought that the transition from the first to the second parts of my pregnancy would be night and day, like I'd wake up one morning singing the hills are alive wearing a flower crown and a fancy prego dress. But no, one bled into the other, I barely noticed the changes until they'd fallen away or started to be part of the norm.

I actually look pregnant now, which is great. For a long time I just looked like I'd put loads of weight on! I guess all those Pringles had to go somewhere and as I write this snippet now at 26 weeks, I have gained 29lbs. My Mum keeps telling me not to worry about the weight and probably for the first time in my life I chose to listen to my old Ma's advice.


I've been getting all gooey eyed in the baby clothes aisle, and so has my husband!
There's something kinda special about seeing the father of your child smiling at tiny denim jackets and cute lion face baby grows. We bought the lion baby grow, still not knowing if he really IS a boy, but heck, girls like lions too right?
We've also amassed a few other bits and bobs, the most 'shit just got real' purchase, funnily enough, was not the pram, but a sweet little lilac polka dotted changing mat. Everything is in my office at the moment so I glance over at it a couple of times (maybe more) a day and imagine our little alien on it.

My brain is kicking back into gear slowly, well, sort of.
I'd heard this phrase 'baby brain' banded about for a while and always thought it just meant you forget stupid things, leave the tv remote in the fridge etc.
But I've definitely noticed a distinct change in the way my cogs are turning for sure. Words disappear from the tip of my tongue or are replaced with an associated meaning that doesn't make complete sense. I have to write things down that normally I'd be able to remember, I've had to make a Google Calendar to remind myself about things for flips sake!

The ideas, organisational and logistics section of my brain closed, I'm pretty sure at conception, but it reboots in fits and starts at the moment and when I'm in the zone I've just gotta go with it.


Comfort is key.
Getting up off the couch, turning over in bed and sitting for more than half an hour at my desk became problematic and although my husband finds some of the noises I make whilst trying to manage even the most basic of tasks (climbing the 14 steps up to our flat, getting into the car etc.) a great source of laughter (as do I sometimes) it really is uncomfortable!
So we made some adjustments.
I got a gym ball so I don't seize up while I'm working, we bought some foam squares to make my armchair higher (bloodyhell this is comfy even if you're not up the duff) and I got a 12 foot pregnancy pillow which both myself and the cats have been enjoying, husband not so much :(

I'm pretty sure this is just the tip of the uncomfortableness iceberg right now, I still have 3 months to 'grow'. I haven't been to my physio since before we found out so my dodgy SI joint and gammy hip are, I'm pretty sure 'a bit off' but I'm thinking about going later on to get things straightened out as if I go now I'm not sure I'll feel the benefit.

So yeah, all in all I think I've got away relatively unscathed. I've had a few hormonal wobbles when I've had to just spend the full day in bed crying over things like gardens, money and if the baby will even like me. No health concerns other than my itchy hands have gotten even more itchy to the point my hands look a little like those of a crystal meth addict. But best of all, my husband hasn't left me over my random ten minute rages (something I'm not willing to put into print!).

I think the biggest things to come out of T2, for me, are that it's now normal to feel something moving around and kicking inside and not be too freaked out by it and the realisation that 2nd trimester energy is a myth! Yes, your energy returns but it's generally for a few hours once or twice a week.

I'd love to hear your 2nd trimester findings, so let us know in the comments.








Comments