A Different Path

As I write this now I am sat having a solo picnic, sunbathing next to the duck pond in a hospital grounds park. It's meant as a sort of haven and chill out area, I guess, for both the patients and visitors at the hospital.
There are three benches, I have one, the parking attendant has taken another for a quick break and on the bench between us there is a lady, obviously a patient with what I'm assuming is her husband.
Southport Hospital Pond
So how did I end up here? Well, thankfully, I am not a visitor nor a patient at the hospital. I actually left the house this morning with the intention of purchasing a mop and to go to the Post Office.
So far I've done neither.
My merry little path has lead me here. It's funny how we start off but then end up somewhere totally unplanned. And it never fails to amuse me, the decisions it takes to get us there. Here's how I arrived at my destination.
Packed up orders and printed shipping labels for the prints that had been delivered to the dayjob. Arrived at the dayjob to collect prints and pack up. Set off to purchase the mop. Picked up some of my all time fave snacks (rice thins) and a Diet Coke to wash them down. Got side tracked by canvases and art supplies and forgot to buy the mop.
Realised I'd forgotten after I got out the store but thought sod it, I'm half way to Mum & Dad's I may as well swing by there and get it on the way back.
Started off in my new direction along the super busy roundabout but couldn't cross where I needed to so took the back route through the hospital.

And here I am. No mop, orders still in my bag but with an immense sense of peace (yeah, I said peace) and relaxation.
Turquoise and green shed paint Our priest told us last week at the RCIA meeting that there are many different ways and situations in which you can say a prayer and talk to God; the appreciation of your surroundings, noticing a beautiful flower, showing kindness to a stranger.
By the same token, God can answer our prayers by the environment, objects and people with which we, sometimes unexpectedly, find ourselves.
Today was certainly one of those days for me. I ended up out all day instead of an hour or so like I'd planned. I didn't do any work on Prints Of Heart and gave no more time to worrying about what's going on at the dayjob. Instead I spent some quality time with my family, had an interesting chat with my Dad and had quite a few of my prayers answered with more clarity and drive than I could have ever hoped for. I think it's all about being open, taking the different path, listening to the answers that are shouting out to you.

This photo of my Dad's shed gives me 'all the feels', I can read a lot into this simple image. It could be the photographer buried deep within me analysing my composition, my love for blue and green tones or the symbolism of the pruned tree. Whatever it was, it compelled me to shoot it and this may sound odd but this image, now burned into my mind is, to me, a message from God.

So, next time you're out and about and your gut is telling you to take a different route, follow it and your prayers may well be answered.

PS. I did get my orders posted in the end, but I am still without a mop!





Comments