Cats need jobs too

Our two babies are housecats. This was a considered decision for me as throughout my life, the family cats we had owned and loved (except one) had all met their end at the hands of a car.
I didn't want to see this in the animals that chose me when I had the opportunity to get my own place and couldn't face the uncertainty having an outdoor cat brings, will they be poisoned/stolen/mistreated etc. while they're out adventuring.
So yeah, whatever your opinion on indoor v's outdoor cats. I believe that our two little monkey faces, Geoff & Una have the best life possible. Yes, they're quite clingy and extremely chatty but that's one of the bonuses of having an indoor cat.
Each cat has found their own routine and they have allocated themselves tasks and jobs to help keep the house running smoothly. If you've been with us a while you'll know that one of Geoff's jobs is to ensure we get up on time for work. He does this by washing my hair, tapping my face and if that doesn't work, he'll use either myself or Pete as a springboard, making sure to get a good grasp of the area with his pin like claws.
Una is Boss of recycling and after a recent purchase of a mug machine I have a lot of cardboard boxes hanging around the living room. She decided to help out by ripping them up into small pieces, I guess her rational was that it's easier for us to take to the recycle bins this way.
One of Una's other self appointed roles is towel boss, she doesn't like mess and likes to keep the bathroom neat and tidy so she reminds us that we should always hang the towels back on the radiator once we have used them, by the simple act of urination. If a towel is left on the floor, accidentally or otherwise, she will wee on it as a lesson to never leave it like that again.

As you can see from the photos, Una does not enjoy posing, she gets very nervous when I bring out the camera and freezes to the point of looking like some form of taxidermy. That's Geoff's job, he's the cat that you will see in my product shots and most social media posts.

I'd love to know what jobs your cats have given themselves, house or outdoor.

Comments